A FAVORITE RICHMOND EXTERIOR PAINT PROJECT!
Chris Small, of Small & Associates Inc. – Richmond’s premier boutique real estate agency, knows that curb appeal matters! He wanted a color scheme for the exterior of this house located in the heart of Richmond’s fan district that would bring it back to it’s classic roots. Already familiar with Farrow and Ball paints after using them extensively in his own home & seeing them in London, Chris wanted to use F&B for this project. He told us that when he found the property it needed A LOT of work, but he was excited about it’s potential. He got busy choosing quality building materials and a classic approach to design and color – giving every room a complete makeover before putting it on the market.
STEPS TO CHOOSING EXTERIOR COLOR
1. WHAT’S INSIDE First things first, a quick tour of the house – the inside matters because it’s important that the exterior and interior colors compliment one another. Chris chose soft grays, blues, creams and whites through out, which perfectly enhanced the light and the lovely architecture in this historic house. The colors also contrast beautifully with the rich dark floors.
2. SNAP PICTURES After taking a tour of the inside, we headed back outside to snap some pictures of the exterior. This will be a huge help in remembering details when we get back to Palette, to start putting color schemes together to transform this exterior!
THE AMAZING AFTER!
3. STUDY THE DETAILS Everything needed to be painted on this house; the exterior walls, all the trim and the door. Here are the details we needed to consider when choosing the color for this project:
– Exterior Surroundings: The house to the left is dark blue/gray, and to the right a deep red. It was tempting to choose a gray on the body of this house in the middle. Gray’s are a wildly popular and would have complimented the interior colors beautifully. However, we wanted to choose a light color with a warm undertone – like a rich creamy white that would pull the house FORWARD (light colors come forward, dark colors recede) – and neutralize the strong neighboring colors in the process.
– Other surfaces and features: We also knew the light color would brighten the brick on the front patio. And it would be a great contrasting backdrop to the charming black iron gate that was barely noticeable against the previous dark colors.
– Windows & Trim: The options were to highlight the trim on the house with a contrasting color, or choose very little contrast for a more classic look. With only the face to paint, we decided to go with less contrast. Subtle color changes and carrying the same color all the way to the top keeps the eye from stopping at a point of contrast, adding height the building – and enhancing the gorgeous architecture. The simple elegance stands out on the block, and works with the interior.
4. CHOOSE PAINT, FINISHES & COLOR SCHEME
Chris wanted a high quality paint to complete this project and also accomplish the finished look – it was easy to go immediately to Farrow and Ball. We went to work pulling together the color schemes and settled on this classic neutral palette:
Off White, Masonry paint on main body
Wimbourne White, in Exterior Eggshell for door trim
White Tie , Exterior Eggshell on upper trim.
Down Pipe, door in the Full Gloss finish.
5. FRONT DOOR It’s fun to be playful with color on the front door, and so many colors would have been stunning with the creams on the body of the house and trim – but we chose this this well loved deep gray, Farrow & Ball Down Pipe in Full Gloss, to it give a sophisticated and deep contrast to the house that once again didn’t compete or clash with the surrounding colors.
Curb appeal galore! It’s no surprise that Small & Associates Inc. – Leverage Global Partner for central Virginia sold this beautiful house after only days on the market. Chris says “a house is a house until it’s owned, and then it becomes a home”.
NEED COLOR HELP? Give us a call or send us an email with pictures of your project to Contact@220.127.116.11.
FARROW & BALL
We are a full stocking retailer of Farrow & Ball paints and papers. Visit our stores in Richmond and Charlottesville, order by phone, or order online HERE.